At Martial Arts for Life, we have engineered our program to address the 5 Greatest Dangers facing our children today:
1. POOR NUTRITION: We teach why good nutrition is important and we encourage our students to eat a healthy diet. We develop our students into martial arts athletes who eat healthfully and respect their bodies.
2. LACK OF EXERCISE: We lead our students through dynamic self-defense workouts that improve physical fitness and conditioning. Each class provides cutting edge principles to develop our students into capable and fit martial arts athletes.
3. NEGATIVE PEER PRESSURE: We build confidence in our students so they can stand up and say “no” to negative peer pressure. We provide training that creates an achievement-oriented culture and a positive peer group for children to participate in.
4. BULLYING: We teach modern, reality-based self-defense skills and how to project physical confidence so our students don’t have to fear bullies. Over the past 25+ years of teaching martial arts, we have developed a proven system that teaches confidence and develops a high self-concept for youngsters.
5. LACK OF MOTIVATION: We inspire our students to become motivated and enthusiastic in school. We have a proprietary and well-structured school-success program that tracks and rewards academic progress. We also share best practices for students as part of our “Success Course for A+ Grades.”
Our son has been attending classes at MAFL for over 2 years now. Master B and Mrs. B have been amazing, and we couldn’t be more pleased with our son’s progress. The team is supportive, positive and teach lessons to their students beyond just martial arts skills. We are so grateful for their programs and classes.
We have benefitted immensely from Martial Arts for Life for several years now. Our four children have improved their conditioning, poise and confidence under the guidance of Master B, Mrs B and their staff of outstanding young instructors. With a good balance of challenge, encouragement, high standards and a healthy dose of fun, they bring much more to each session than lessons on technique and form. Thank you MAFL!!
We love Martial Arts for Life. Mrs. B and Master B are super dedicated to the kids. They are creating a very respectful, helpful and nurturing environment for the kids to learn karate as well as how to be more confident. Love how they know every single kids’ name even from the beginning. My son looks up to all instructors and helpers. Thank you!
My son has been attending classes at Martial Arts for Life for over 10 years now. It was the best decision we ever made! Master & Mrs B are not only excellent instructors but also wonderful people. I have watched my son grow as a person physically and mentally. He is, in a large way, who he is because of MAFL. Strong, confident and a leader.
Martial Arts for Life is simply amazing! Master & Mrs. B have created an incredibly warm and engaging atmosphere for my son to learn. We have been fortunate enough to be part of the Martial Arts for Life family for over three years and my son still runs into class excited to learn, excited to challenge himself & excited to grow!
Our experience at MAFL has truly been amazing. Master B. has a wonderful way with the kids. He commands respect while also showing the students respect and kindness. Both my boys have been at MAFL for four years and are still very engaged and interested in progressing further, just recently having achieved their black belts. They look forward to going to each session, and certainly Master B., Mrs. B, and the dedicated student teachers have made it well worth it! Highly recommend it.
Both of my children grew up with Master and Mrs. B. We could not be more grateful! Master and Mrs. B. are excellent role models and have a talent for bringing people together and bringing out the best in their students. Pizza nights, 5k’s, town events, busy week night practices, and of course graduations helped our kids build confidence and character. One of the best decisions we made!
Martial Arts for life is fantastic. My son started there about 3 years ago. He has learned so much and has gained confidence in himself. Master and Mrs.B provide all of their students with a wonderful learning environment both in person and over Zoom. I was truly amazed at how they quickly transitioned to an online format this past spring to accommodate the stay at home orders. My son continued his training twice a week online and continued to learn at the same pace as before the pandemic hit. The studio is now open again and my son has returned to in person classes. He is absolutely thrilled to be back In person and continuing on his journey to be becoming a black belt. I highly recommend Martial Arts for Life!
Yes. Focus is essential to the study of martial arts and we teach all of our students to follow our 3 rules of focus and concentration: Focus your eyes, focus your mind, and focus your body.
We teach all of our students that martial arts begins and ends with respect. Each class begins with students and instructors bowing to each other as a sign of mutual trust and respect. Respect for self and others is a cornerstone of our program.
We recommend students attend an average of 8 classes per month or about twice per week in order to fully benefit from their training.
No. We teach a complete system of self-defense to our students and part of that is learning how to de-escalate confrontations and avoid fighting whenever possible. Through proper training students learn how to control their emotions such as anger and frustration instead of lashing out or becoming aggressive.
We teach a blended martial arts style which incorporates techniques from Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai kickboxing, Filipino Martial Arts and reality-based self-defense. Apart from the physical, our school is a community of like-minded individuals and families that value traits such as honor, respect, integrity, perseverance and high moral code.
While we may not be the best choice for everybody, we do offer a professional, results-oriented program to families in the Berkeley Heights area. Here are some of the things that make Martial Arts for Life special.
- We are parents, just like you. Martial Arts for Life is a family business. In fact, our child trains right alongside yours! We understand the unique challenges parents face when trying to raise a happy, well-adjusted child in this challenging day and age.
- We are certified instructors. We have been certified to teach by the Martial Arts Teachers’ Association.
- Martial Arts for Life offers a diverse and eclectic physical martial arts curriculum and a proprietary life skills and character education program. Our program was featured in SUCCES! Magazine in 2014.
- Our instructors regularly train with some of the best martial artists in the world. We hold Black Belts and/or instructorships in arts such as Tae Kwon Do, Muay Thai Kickboxing, and Filipino Martial Arts. This allows us to expose our students to a variety of techniques and philosophies in order to develop well-rounded martial artists.
- Martial Arts for Life provides a modern, age-appropriate curriculum that has been developed over the past 25+ years of teaching professionally. We have a proven track record – no theories, guesswork or trying to figure out how develop Black Belts from the inside out.
- We teach with the brain in mind. Our curriculum has been engineered to improve: Speed of processing, Working memory, Attention control, Cognitive load, Inductive thinking & More!
- We partner with the local community. Whether it’s our 5K Team that has raised over $60,000 for the NJ Sharing Network Foundation since 2012 or our Skills for School Fundraiser that has raised funds for PTA’s and PTO’s in Berkeley Heights, Summit & New Providence, or our co-owner that has volunteered as the president of the NP Business & Professional Association since 2011, we are committed to partnering and giving back to the communities that we operate in.
Martial Arts for Life has been proudly serving Berkeley Heights, NJ residents since 2005!
If you are a Berkeley Heights resident searching for a martial arts school, you have come to the right place! Martial Arts for Life has many families from Berkeley Heights that are happily involved with our martial arts program. While our program promotes traditional teachings such as respect, courtesy, self-control and self-discipline, we teach a cutting-edge, age-appropriate physical curriculum that is designed with our students and their progress in mind. If you would like more information about our martial arts programs, you can reach us at 908.464.2836 or enter your name and e-mail and you will get immediate access to our beginner class schedule, plus our “10 Tips For A Health Lifestyle” guide for kids, a digital copy of our “Parent’s Guide To Family Safety,” and several other great resources for parents.
We are centrally located on Springfield Ave. in New Providence. We are in the Starbucks / Chipotle shopping center next to AT&T Wireless. This only about 2 miles from downtown Berkeley Heights!
The Village Shopping Center: 1260 Springfield Ave. New Providence, NJ
Looking for Karate classes near Berkeley Heights? Please call us to set up a complimentary introductory lesson for your child.